Saturday, January 10, 2015

Day 3: The British Museum and Camden.

To be honest, I am not sure how to start today's blog post. But I am eating some chocolate biscuits that are really good. I'm also listening to an old Ed Sheeran cover. I didn't do very much in the early hours of the day. Maggie and I met up with an someone who used to work with one of my cousins for lunch. She was absolutely lovely to talk with. We ate at Pret A Manger. You can choose from loads of different kinds of sandwich and soups, then pay and find a spot to sit. I went for a club sandwich that was super yummy! It was much better quality than any Subway, Jimmy Johns, or Potbelly sandwich I have ever had. We then decided to accompany our new friend to the The British Museum. We are super lucky and live only a few blocks away. The museum is free, except for special exhibits. Yes, free. This is something Americans are definitely not used to when visiting a museum (At least in Chicago). A security man checked our purses and then warned us to "keep our bags safe because there are pick-pocketers in there". We then made our way into center of the museum to figure out where we wanted to go. We only had enough time to check out the area dedicated to the Egyptians. And then the Greeks. Surprisingly, the museum was not as busy as I thought it would be on a Saturday at 2 pm. I was able to take some pictures. Everything we saw was amazingly beautiful. It's crazy they are able to preserve these artifacts. I left there feeling very cultured. 
This was what we saw to our right when we entered the room. It is massive. The attention to detail is insane. 
We even stopped for a photograph. (credit to my cousins friend).


As Maggie pointed out while we were staring at this, the attention to detail is insane! I don't think it would have shown up very well in a photo, but trust me. I was very impressed (this sounds snobby, sorry). 

I had to design one of these when I was in the 6th grade and draw it out on a piece of paper. It was super cool to see a real one. I included the description that was in front of it. See kids, what you learn in school does help you out later in life. 
I found these very intriguing. Their faces are almost a mix between a cat and a human. 
 At one point, he did have two ears. One fell off. I know, I wish there was some dramatic back story as to why he only has one ear. 
This is a small chunk that fell of the Sphinx of Giza.
A statue of Aphrodite. I believe the description said she was washing herself and then someone surprised her.This is why she is turned. 


This is jewelry from the Greeks.

Lovely photography here, those are my hands. 
While walking around the museum I couldn't help but wish that a few of my family members had been there. I know my Uncle John would have LOVED it. It was very cool, and we only spent about an hour there. I imagine someone could spend days going through everything and really soaking it all in. The jewelry pictures I took with my Aunt Mary Jo in mind as she is a massive lover of jewelry. They also have the Rosetta Stone there. I was unable to take a picture because of how many people were standing in front of it. It was very cool though, I would recommend it for anyone visiting London I think. Mainly because its free and has things that are more interesting than what I have seen in other museums. I am not a museum person and I am telling you this was very cool, take that into consideration. 
After this excursion, Maggie and I stopped off at our room for a few minutes. It was fairly chilly today and the wind was very strong. We both bundled up and headed towards Camden Town. It was a super easy walk about 20 minutes up the road. On our walk, we saw a Marks and Spencers (grocery store) and decided to stop in. Whilst we were looking at the food (something that sounds very boring but for whatever reason we find very interesting), I realized we were in Euston station. All of that information was completely irrelevant, but whatever. Then, we headed out again, It was very cool to see the different shops and restaurants in our area.
This was a super cute one we passed. I think we may have to stop in for food some time! 
The wind was in our faces the whole time. At one moment my scarf actually blew into my face and I couldn't see. I then wrapped my scarf even tighter around my neck which was eventually uncomfortable. 
There is one particular band that I have loved since their "beginning", 5 Seconds of Summer. I have seen them in concert 5 times and was even lucky enough to meet them. Last year they performed at the KoKo in London, which happens to be in Camden. They played two nights at this venue I believe. At one of the shows, Luke Hemmings sang "Wherever You Are" alone for the crowd. This is one of my top favorite songs of theirs. So far, this has been the only performance of it. It genuinely made me cry when I watched the video of this performance for the first time. I think being so far away from home right now makes it hold an even bigger place in my heart. This venue is really special to me, even though I only saw youtube videos of the performance. All sappy thoughts aside, it is gorgeous. 
Maggie and I are now trying to find a band to see there. Seriously felt the cool vibes from across the street. 
I can only imagine what the inside looks like! 

As promised yesterday, I was able to take a picture of the "directions" on the ground. Very helpful. 

After staring at that building for a few minutes, Maggie and I continued our walk. We stopped in a few stores on the way in search of a few items that we still haven't found. Luckily one Superdrug had the sea salt spray I have been looking for. Lou Teasdale is a big advocate of it, therefore I made it my mission to find and try it. I have already used it (obviously) and it smells amazing! I scrunched my hair a bit and it added a lot of texture. 

I must say, Camden is pretty cool. Maggie and I stopped in an Urban Outfitters and All Saints. Both are very expensive shops and are also filled with plenty of clothes I would LOVE to buy. 
We didn't really have a plan with our adventure today. But, we stumbled upon the Camden Locks. 
The sun had just set. I was going to say it looks very pretty, but I think you can see that. 
This is Maggie taking a picture with her real camera. I was trying to be arsty with this shot. I didn't work. So, for better pictures of what we did today check out her blog
We basically just wandered around snapping pictures of cool things we saw. 
This bridge had a cobblestone walkway (very common pretty much everywhere here) that was incredibly steep. I dodged a jogger that was coming down when we were trying to go up. 

Maggie and I then stopped into a Costa for a hot chocolate.While standing in the queue (or line), we both decided to grab muffins as well. Best choice I made all day, besides walking to Camden. I opted for a "Sicilian Lemon Muffin". It was actually the best muffin I have ever had in my whole entire life. They even put lemon curd in the middle. The hot chocolate was amazing as well. 

We then turned into "The Stables" (neither of us are 100% sure this was our location) which also have little food stalls (that smell amazing) and a few really cool shops. Eclectic is the vibe there and I loved it. 
I am not sure why I am holding my cup as though it is my accessory, but here is what I wore. My jeans are from H&M, so are my boots. My shirt (which you can't see) was a basic short sleeve black tee from Top Shop. I had to wear a hat in order to keep my hair in place. 
The cobblestone is really cool but terrible to walk on. I would not advise heels. 
I loved Camden. Maggie and I will definitely have to make a trip back there during the day time hours. Sorry this blog is so long. Actually, I am not sorry. I am sure someone will enjoy my ranting and unimportant information. Maggie made a short vlog from today. Hopefully, there will be more of these!



Warning: Once things get busy with school and such, I am not sure if I will be able to share a post every single day. I will try my best though. Thanks for reading if you made it this far. 
A. 

1 comment:

  1. First thankyou for thinking of me in the museum. I love your reference to music in each blog. When I was in Germany in high school, I stood on a bridge in Heidelberg singing a song to myself by a group called Seals and Crofts. It is and song about their wives and how destined they were to meet in this world. Every time I hear it im back on that bridge with the warm breeze in my face late at night with the lights of Heidelberg to lookat.

    ReplyDelete